Are you struggling with the discomfort and swelling of osteoarthritis? At Mobility Spine and Sports in Fort Lauderdale, FL, Dr. Darin Bush, and his team are experts in diagnosing and treating this common joint disease. They understand your pain and desire for better function, and they can help.
What is osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis is a chronic condition impacting the joint function of the knees, hips, spine, shoulders, hands, and feet. Also called "wear and tear" arthritis, osteoarthritis affects millions of Americans, typically from middle age on up, says the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Bones, synovial fluid, articular cartilage, ligaments, and tendons (connective tissues) are all involved in osteoarthritis symptoms.
- Varying degrees of joint pain
- Bone spurs
- Limited range of motion
- Stiffness, particularly first thing in the morning or after sitting for an extended period of time
While activity helps limit symptom severity, repetitive motion and high-impact sports can contribute to osteoarthritis, particularly after traumatic injury to a joint. Excess body weight, age, gender (women), and heredity factor into the development of osteoarthritis.
Diagnosis and treatment
During a consultation at Mobility Spine and Sports in Fort Lauderdale, Dr. Bush will examine your areas of concern, ask about symptoms (and what may increase or relieve them), and take X-rays and other types of imaging if required.
Treatment of your osteoarthritis will be individualized to his findings and your needs. It can include:
- Application of heat and/or cold
- Analgesics and/or injections of corticosteroids into the affected joint
- A program of physical therapy and exercise to increase range of motion and mobility (including work on balance and muscle-strengthening)
- Assistive devices such as shoe orthotics, joint braces and canes or walkers
- A program of weight loss
- Supplements such a vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, and calcium
Also, Dr. Bush is trained in osteopathic manipulative medicine, a gentle, non-invasive method of improving joint and muscular function. Using hands-on stretching, manipulation, and targeted pressure, Dr. Bush works to relieve pain, increase healing and flexibility, and helps patients have a greater sense of overall well-being.
For more information on osteoarthritis, or to arrange a consultation with Dr. Darin Bush, contact our office in Fort Lauderdale, FL.
The team at Mobility Spine and Sports will help you feel your very best. Phone our team at (954) 414-7080.